9.0 Exam papers Back
Biol 3002 Advanced Medical and Veterinary Parasitology 2004
Answer two questions:
Write each answer in a separate book.
Compare and contrast the models that relate to the control of growth of intracellular macrophage pathogens by the Nramp1/Slc11a1 gene. In your answer it is expected that you provide some detail of the experimental approaches used in reaching the conclusions by each group of investigators.
Write an essay illustrating how the inflammatory response, which occurs following injury and infection, is capable of adversely effecting individuals. Illustrate your essay by reference to the findings of recent studies on metabolic, genetic and gender-based aspects of cytokine production. Why might giving parasitized individuals iron supplements not be to their advantage?
2. Describe how studies on the free-living nematode C. elegans have furthered the understanding of the mechanism of action of the anthelmintic ivermectin.
3. Compare and contrast the host immune responses to Leishmaniosis and Malaria.
4. What problems face the range of methods we currently, or may soon have, in the locker to control malaria?
5. What would an ideal (subsidised) protocol for containing veterinary nematode parasites causing parasitic gastroenteritis (PGE) look like if it was drawn up by a veterinarian laboratory and a group of farmers in 2007?
END OF PAPER
Biol 3002 Advanced Medical and Veterinary Parasitology 2005
2. Provide examples of where drug and treatment resistance is merely suspected compared with where it is proven in helminth and arthropod parasites.
Dr Clive Bennett E-mail: email@example.com
© Dr. Clive Bennett 2006